Listed below are common questions and comments I get that I want to clarify. The reason for my company is to give FACTS and dispel the myths. Everything listed below is backed up by RCW and law.
- “The state has not released the training needed for I1639.” RCW 9.41.090 lists out the qualified instructors who can teach the course, the 6 categories of training and the certificate requirements. A quote from the STATE DOL firearms division: “DOL does not have authority or role in the training requirements laid out in the Initiative.” Yes the DOL form is just a checkbox have you completed training. For those of you saying “I’m just going to check the box.” as a police officer and instructor, I would highly discourage someone from committing a state and federal law violation.
- “I am just going to go buy a lower receiver” True! This is a loophole and you may buy a lower receiver and piece together your rifle.
- “I am just going to wait for an injunction or courts to throw it out.” Per the people mounting the legal defense, it will not be able to succeed by July 1st 2019 and you need to get ready because it’s coming and it is going to happen. They are still working towards a resolution.
- “There is now a 10 day waiting period on ALL guns.” True. No more buying a gun and walking out if you have a CPL.
- “I am just going to buy and a gun in Idaho or Oregon.” Under FEDERAL law they (the dealer) can only sell a gun to you if you are following the state laws in which you reside in. So, for example, you go to buy a gun in Oregon. When you show them your WA Driver’s License they will have to follow WA law per federal law.
- “Assault rifle.” Per the new law RCW 9.41.010. effective July 1st 2019, the law has created a new definition, called “semi-auto assault rifle.” As a police officer and a former soldier, I know the meaning of “assault rifle.” However, come July 1st 2019 Washington State law has defined an “assault rifle” as a semi-auto rifle.
If you have LEGITIMATE questions about the law and the new process we would be more then happy to answer them for you.